Senior Project & Portfolio ManagerVacancy: Job Type:
Information & Technology ServicesDate Posted:
Reporting to the Manager Organizational Governance Support (OGS), the Senior Project & Portfolio Manager is responsible for delivering multiple projects that meet their stated business objectives within agreed timelines and budgets, including, but not limited to large-scale, multi-million dollar enterprise-wide projects, providing consulting assistance to senior executives where appropriate, and assisting in the assessment and management of projects in the project portfolio. This role interfaces regularly with external vendors and senior executives, and provides reports to the Board including confidential material that may be sensitive with respect to business/labor relations. The duties include, but are not limited to, assembling and managing large project teams including Management group employees, directing management and unionized staff, assigning individual responsibilities, identifying and acquiring the needed resources, and developing and monitoring a schedule to ensure timely completion of the project. The position is also responsible for vendor management from a number of different perspectives, including negotiation associated with multi-million dollar contracts. The Senior Project & Portfolio Manager is responsible for developing, preparing, and reviewing project business cases including cost estimates, efficiency gains, business value and justifications. Also, the Senior Project & Portfolio Manager is responsible for overseeing smaller projects and helping develop the skills of project managers and business analysts throughout the organization. The Senior Project & Portfolio Manager is responsible for communications management throughout the project lifecycle.
1. Provide project leadership as described below for the IESO involving both direct management and accountability for large projects as well as provide advice, guidance and potentially oversight on the management of other projects;
2. Facilitate the definition of project objectives, scope, critical success factors, benefits and constraints to align expectations, sponsors and project participants;
3. Develop, present, justify and gain approval for business cases from the project sponsor and stakeholders including senior executives and the Board of the IESO and its committees, as required and in compliance with the Organizational Authority Register;
4. Identify and/or facilitate project risks and contingency requirements;
5. Develop high level plans including the necessary schedule, budget and resourcing to achieve the project objectives, taking account of influencing factors;
6. Develop low level plans sufficient for the proper direction and the control of the project;
7. Ensure the project is meeting its stated objectives within the approved budget and timelines. Plan, execute, and monitor any activities necessary to recover slippage in timelines, budget, or the achievement of business objectives.
8. Develop and/or oversee key project deliverables such as test strategies and acceptance criteria.
9. Challenge requirements as necessary in order to ensure that the project steering committee and project sponsor is aware of resulting cost-benefit outcomes, human resource implications and impact on project schedule;
10. Deliver and manage demanding but viable project budgets and schedules, including forecasting, monitoring and adherence to corporate business policies;
11. Estimate costs-to-complete for deliverables, activities and phases of the project;
12. Plan, assign, and monitor project work with appropriate instructions and technical directions assuming primary responsibility for achieving project objectives;
13. Monitor project status and work results to ensure timely progress and desired quality;
14. Review plans and results as required with the steering committees, senior executive, Board members and customers, ensuring appropriate stakeholder involvement throughout the project;
15. Maintain and monitor project risk logs and contribute to the identification of new project risks; exercising mitigation and contingency actions as necessary;
16. Manage development of project closure report including the mechanism to measure benefits realization;
17. Seek, investigate, clarify, assess, strategize, and document potential projects for the IESO;
18. Assist in the enterprise-wide implementation, growth, and support of the Project Portfolio;
19. Where practical, assist in developing project management strategies in support of the various business units;
20. Provide consulting assistance to departments and conduct project valuations on their behalf;
21. Provide subject matter expertise and mentoring for the Project Managers throughout the organization;
22. Support and further the mission of the PMO, its goals, and its scope;
23. Consult on smaller projects and help develop skills among project managers so they can undertake larger projects;
24. Participate in the overall project/portfolio strategy development for the IESO;
25. Assist with and facilitate communications;
26. Provide direct supervision of staff employed on one or more project teams. The project teams will at times be in excess of 10 members and include Management group employees;
27. Plan, organize, direct and prioritize the work of project team members and be accountable for the products and the quality of work generated by the project teams for periods covering multiple years.;
28. Integrate the efforts of project teams with others both inside and outside the project;
29. Determine resource requirements, allocations, and assignments;
30. Conduct hiring activities including, but not limited to, job description development, recruiting, interviewing and hiring to meet the project objectives and budgets;
31. Provide staff direction, coaching/mentoring, performance management if required and undertake performance evaluations;
32. Conduct procurements in accordance with IESO standards and provincial requirements including the development and management of RFP and vendor negotiations on matters of price and all contractual terms;
33. Negotiate cost effective multi-million dollar contracts that meet the needs and time constraints of the IESO including any necessary change orders to the scope of the contracted service.
34. Manage external vendors on an ongoing basis to ensure they meet their contractual commitments for both product quality and delivery timelines, including any necessary remedial activities to be taken by the vendor;
35. Perform other duties as required.
Requires knowledge encompassing the technical fields relevant to the areas of computer science, engineering design, technical service delivery, project management, risk management, and customer service. Requires strong knowledge of project management theory, principles, and practices including the Project Management Institute practices.
Requires knowledge of IT business methods, procedures and organization structures in order to be aware of limitations that can be imposed and to recognize factors influencing the effective implementation of methodologies, risk and project management related activities.
Requires excellent facility in written and oral communications especially as they pertain to external vendors, senior executives and Board members. Requires the ability to prepare accurate, concise, and clear correspondence, procedures, guidelines, and reports and the ability to discuss project and portfolio management philosophy and requirements with others both internal and external to the IESO.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of 4 years of University education in appropriate discipline or by having the equivalent education.
Requires PMP certification from the Project Management Institute or an equivalent certification.
A period of over 10 years, and up to and including 12 years, is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Good analytical and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
- Ability to influence peers and others in the organization.