With the break in the weather conditions, the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) has lifted the Power Advisory issued earlier this week requesting Ontarians to reduce electricity consumption wherever possible.
Electricity demand has dropped significantly since the beginning of the week. Peak electricity demand for Ontario today is expected to be approximately 1,500 megawatts (MW) lower than the peak demand reached on Monday when the Power Advisory was first issued.
In addition, the return to service of two generating units totalling approximately 1,000 MW has helped ease the tight supply conditions seen at the beginning of the week.
"The efforts of the Ontario consumers and businesses who heeded the call to conserve electricity reduced the load on the system and provided us with the flexibility that we needed to continue to reliably operate the power system," said Paul Murphy, Chief Operating Officer for the IESO. "Their efforts are very much appreciated."
"Although the Power Advisory has been lifted, we continue to urge the responsible use of electricity and customers should always look for ways to reduce their consumption," said Murphy.
The IESO cautioned that further appeals may be necessary during the summer if an extended heat wave returns or if supply conditions worsen.
The IESO issues a Power Advisory when supplies of power, including imports, are forecast to be adequate, but the expected high demand will put a prolonged strain on the electricity system. Conservation measures will benefit consumers, the environment and the electricity infrastructure. Power Advisories can last for an extended period of time.
The IESO is responsible for managing Ontario's bulk electricity system and operating the wholesale electricity market. For more information, visit www.ieso.ca.