Update on Recent Technical Panel Determinations
June 4, 2015
The Technical Panel met on June 2 and recommended that the IESO Board of Directors approve one amendment, and requested comments from stakeholders on three sets of rule changes.
The Technical Panel has recommended that the IESO Board of Directors approve the following market rule amendment when it meets on June 24:
The Technical Panel requests comments on the following market rule amendment proposals:
- MR-00416: Demand Response Auctions – Participant Authorization & Facility Registration proposes to amend the market rules in order to implement a Demand Response Auction to allow for the future competitive procurement and development of demand response in Ontario.
Specifically, this amendment proposal will:
- Create a new market participant class, "demand response auction participant;"
- Specify the requirements to participate in a demand response auction, which include providing a demand response auction deposit;
- Specify that demand response auction participants who obtain a demand response capacity obligation through an auction, must become a demand response market participant;
- Provide details and eligibility for the delivery of demand response capacity obligations; and
- Specify that in order to deliver on a demand response capacity obligation, demand response market participants must satisfy the registration requirements as either a dispatchable load, or the requirements of an hourly demand response resource.
This proposal is based on stakeholder consultation as part of the Demand Response Auction stakeholder engagement.
- MR-00418: Outage Management Process Redesign proposes to amend the market rules to implement a new outage management process designed to achieve the following objectives:
- Improve outage management related services for market participants;
- Maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of participant and IESO activities that support outage management;
- Reduce the risk of reliability standards violations associated with outage related processes; and
- Facilitate the replacement of the Integrated Outage Management System (IOMS) with a software solution that supports a new outage management process.
This proposal is based on stakeholder consultation as part of the Outage Management Process Redesign stakeholder engagement initiative.
- MR-00421: Transmission Rights Clearing Account Disbursement Methodology proposes to amend the market rules to allow the IESO Board to direct disbursements from the Transmission Rights Clearing Account to better match consumption patterns during the period in which the surplus in the account was accumulated.
Stakeholders are asked to provide comments on the Demand Response Auction, Outage Management Process Redesign, and Transmission Rights Clearing Account amendments by June 22 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.