Legal Counsel - MACD
Type of Position
- Lead and/or support participation in court and regulatory proceedings in which MACD is a party;
- Drafting of legal filings, if appropriate;
- Negotiates, prepares and reviews external agreements, including coordination protocols and settlement agreements;
- Advisor to MACD, on legal issues generally;
- Supports investigation work, especially with the drafting of official enforcement correspondence and in vetting and performing legal analysis related to the interpretation of market rules in accordance with the facts and information gathered during investigations;
- Tracks relevant legislative initiatives;
- Supports or leads team efforts in relation to dialogue with stakeholders such as the OEB, the government, FERC, NERC;
- Supports and leads internal policy development and implementation;
- Tracks court and tribunal proceedings relevant to mandate of MACD, and provides corresponding reports and advice to MACD management;
- Tracks reliability standards and enforcement developments in other jurisdictions, as they relate to MACDís mandate, and provides corresponding reports and advice to MACD management;
- Conducts legal research and prepares opinions;
- Assists with the preparation of all documents for public release, including guidelines;
- Participates in stakeholder consultations related to the mandate of the body;
- Liaises with market participants, outside agencies and industry stakeholders as required;
- Conducts analysis of enforcement rules and manuals to ensure MACD adherence;
This position reports to Director, MACD.
- A law degree;
- Exceptional verbal, written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong negotiating skills; and
- Must be a demonstrated team player.
Additional Experience and Training Considered Highly Relevant to Position
- Experience in court and administrative law forums;
- Experience in regulatory and/or competition/anti-trust law area;
- Background in economics and/or markets, preferably electricity markets;
- Knowledge of electricity systems and reliability standards;
- Experience in an investigative position.
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO's business objectives.
- Excellent analytical and communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
- Existing, detailed knowledge of market rules , IESO dispatch tools and IESO databases a definite asset
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.