Engineer/Technical Officer-Operational Excellence
Type of Position
Temporary - 15 months
- Provide operational expertise to support the establishment and maintenance of IESO emergency preparedness plans, processes and procedures to manage the impact of credible contingencies affecting reliable market and system operations.
- Coordinate the development of special contingency plans to mitigate the impact of emerging risks (e.g., sustained ice storms, labour disruptions affecting market participant operational capability).
- Provide operational expertise to support the development and maintenance of the Ontario Electricity Emergency Plan and assist in the coordination of a provincial response to major electricity emergencies affecting public health and safety.
- Collaborate with market participants and others to develop and maintain the Ontario Power System Restoration Plan to direct the effective restoration of the IESO-controlled grid in the event of a blackout. Participate on external task forces and committees on matters related to emergency preparedness and system restoration.
- Maintain emergency planning guidelines and standards for use by market participants to ensure their emergency plans are effective.
- Review the emergency preparedness plans and restoration plan attachments submitted by market participants and assess quality and completeness according to planning guidelines and criteria.
- Develop training content and materials and deliver training to IESO staff and market participants on assigned topics related to market and system operations. Conduct needs assessment, develop training content, determine best training delivery methods, ensure learning and comprehension has taken place.
- Assure effective electricity industry emergency response capability by leading market participants in developing, conducting and assessing the results of workshops, integrated drills and exercises.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Requires an engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics and the like to undertake analytical studies related to the management and control of the bulk power system in support of emergency planning.
- Requires effective oral and written communications skills to prepare and present training course materials and to communicate effectively with market participants and government authorities.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of a 4 year University education in an appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education.
- Requires significant exposure to overall power system operation.
- Requires specific experience as applicable to the particular specialty of the group. Experience will be related to the fields of:
- utilization of generation resources, including interchange and interconnections
- secure operation of bulk power system
Background experience will include
- In-depth knowledge of market and system operation standards, rules and procedures
- Applied knowledge of the functions of generation and transmission electrical equipment
- Concepts of power system operation, including technical features of equipment and facilities, high-tension transmission, system interconnection and methods of attaining efficiency in power production and interchange between systems
- Knowledge of the Market Rules and related IESO obligations
- Broad knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of market participants regarding market and system operation
- Experience in making presentations and in facilitating training sessions for large groups.
- Experience in guiding, training, and providing advice to individuals
- Demonstrated customer service skills
A period of over 8 years, up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO's business objectives.
- Superior communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
- Demonstrates an ability to deal well with change.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.