Assistant Engineer/Technical Officer – Market Facilitation
Type of Position
Both Regular & Temporary positions available
As an Assistant Engineer/Technical Officer – Market Facilitation, you will be part of a team involved in:
- Assessing long-term transmission plans against Ontario’s needs and industry standards.
- Performing feasibility studies and system impact assessments for new or modified facilities and providing a conditional advance approval for connection.
- Managing and administering market participant authorization, market entry and exit.
- Validating the performance of new facilities against market rule requirements, and registering facilities for the market.
- Managing IESO’s reliability standards development activities and administering the Ontario Reliability Compliance program.
- Performing studies to assess the technical feasibility of future standards.
- Formulating IESO internal reliability-related policies and procedure.
As an Assistant Engineer/Technical Officer – Market Facilitation you will assist, as directed, in specific phases of work in the field of power system planning and operation, the development and application of specialized technology and the provision of analytical and technical support as needed. This includes:
Grid Assessments section; Grid Standards, Special Studies and Transmission Planning section:
- Assist in conducting studies to resolve problems through analysis and application of highly specialized technology in the field of power system planning and operation.
- Assist in preparing power system models and performing power system simulations and technical analysis of the performance of control systems, new or modified power system facilities, and the interconnected grid.
- Assessing requests for exemptions to market participant requirements, and assisting in monitoring compliance.
- Assisting customers as they complete registration tasks in the Market Entry process.
- Facilitating information exchange and coordinating work activities between customers and IESO business units, and expediting the resolution of customer issues.
- Using technology applications, such as CDMS, to complete registration activities.
- Providing advice, guidance, and information to customers related to registration and compliance requirements by responding accordingly or seeking subject matter expert advice from senior staff members and other IESO business units.
- Assist in specifying all Facility Requirements.
- Coordinating scheduled activities of customers with IESO work activity timelines to ensure customers achieve intended outcome on or before agreed to target date(s).
Reliability Compliance Monitoring, Reporting and Standards Development
- Assist in coordinating reliability compliance monitoring activities such as
- Monitoring and reporting on market participant and IESO compliance with reliability standards.
- Notifying market participants and IESO staff of compliance reporting activities and milestones, participating in and manage IESO committees and working groups related to reliability standards development, awareness and compliance reporting.
- Coordinating IESO activities associated with reliability standards audits and related reviews.
- Using technology applications, such as ICT, to support these activities.
- Participating in compliance and industry standards development committees and working groups and related activities.
- Assisting the Chief Reliability Compliance Officer (CRCO) and the Compliance Co-ordination Team in carrying out their duties in coordinating reliability compliance among business units.
- Completing ad-hoc assignments within specific timelines from Team Leader(s) and/or Section Head.
- Obtaining necessary data for problem solution and developing solutions to problems, producing necessary documentation to substantiate proposed recommendations.
- Preparing reports, making presentations, and making recommendations.
- Participating in industry forums, committees and working groups, and collaborating with participants, consultants, suppliers, developers and reliability organizations. Assisting in the coordination of preparatory material for any of these activities.
- Assist in providing analysis and subject matter expertise for development, revision and application of market rules, policies and procedures.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining documentation such as market manuals, policies, procedures, instruction manuals and protocols.
- Performing other duties as may be required.
Requires engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, and associated mathematics to undertake engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the planning and operation of the bulk power system. Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports. These qualifications are normally acquired in a 4-year university degree program in electrical engineering or equivalent. Professional engineering status in Ontario is an asset.
Requires experience, such as might be gained in the energy industry, to become familiar with the general concepts of power system planning and operation. Requires experience to become familiar with the nature of studies and investigations carried out by the different sections and groups of the organization. Requires further on-the-job experience to become familiar with methods and practices associated with the work functions.
Familiarity with the Ontario bulk power system and an understanding of bulk power system reliability criteria and the IESO-administered market rules is an asset.
Experience in any of the following areas would be an asset:
- Electrical engineering design concepts as they relate to the functions and characteristics of power system components.
- Knowledge of analytical study techniques to solve power system problems, and in particular simulation software such as PTI/PSSE and Power Tech DSA.
- Familiarity with North American power system operation, standards and practices, and market operations, and specific knowledge of the design and operation of the IESO-administered markets.
- Familiarity with the operation of electricity markets and in particular, the processes, practices, design and operation of the IESO-administered markets and programs.
- Familiarity with relationships between market participants and the IESO.
- Knowledge of the operation of the IESO-controlled grid, the North American electricity regulatory framework, NERC and NPCC reliability standards.
A period of over 4 years and up to and including 6 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Comprehensive appreciation of, and strong personal commitment to, customer needs and corporate objectives.
- Fluent in oral and written English, good communication and presentation skills to present complex results in an understandable fashion, and to prepare effective reports and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team environment where different opinions and controversies have to be negotiated and resolved diplomatically.
- Have a track record of developing trust, mutual respect and co-operative working relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement principles.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks with changing priorities, and ability to influence peers and others in the organization.
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO's business objectives.
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Understanding People
- Impact and Influence
- Consulting Orientation
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.