Engineer/Technical Officer - Project Support
Type of Position
Working as part of a dynamic team, the successful candidate will help with implementation of Operations business unit related change initiatives. This is achieved primarily by:
- Developing appropriate test cases, test data, and test procedures based on defined user requirements and perform User Acceptance Tests on delivered solutions.
- Developing appropriate processes to support Operations activities.
- Developing end user computing tools as necessary to support Operations tasks using Microsoft Office tools.
- Producing business process documentation for Operations activities.
This position will focus upon the following elements:
- Work with Operations subject matter experts and Information Technology (IT) staff (including business analysts) as necessary to develop and document test cases for new or revised application software developed by IT to support Operations processes. Perform User Acceptance Tests on delivered software on behalf of Operations.
- Develop appropriate processes to support Operations activities. Identify the objectives of business processes, assess the risk of not meeting those objectives and identify process controls to mitigate risk as appropriate. Document process objectives, tasks, risks and controls in summary documentation (e.g. risk-control matrices).
- Liaise with Operations staff to understand issues with the performance of existing tools, and follow-up with Information Technology to facilitate their resolution.
- Develop end user computing (EUC) tools as necessary to support Operations tasks. Develop and maintain inventories of EUC tools, and assess the level of risk of these tools in accordance with IESO standards. Develop requirements documents and test plans for the EUC tools, and execute the test plans.
- Maintain a current knowledge of Operations processes for the purposes of interpreting and assessing the priority of issues regarding Operations tools and processes.
- Work with subject matter experts to produce business process documentation to support Operations change initiatives, including procedural instructions for Operations activities. Ensure that the documentation is consistent with NERC standards, NPCC criteria, the market rules, relevant government regulations and other industry standards, and is consistent with IESO processes for managing controlled documents. Ensure that the documentation is appropriate for the audience (e.g. internal vs. external manuals) and contains the appropriate level of detail.
- Work with Operations subject matter experts and IT staff (including business analysts) as necessary to develop and document test cases for new or revised facilities (e.g. telephone system, wallboard) implemented by Information Technology to support Operations processes. Perform User Acceptance Tests on delivered facility items on behalf of Operations.
- Perform other duties comparable in scope and complexity to the tasks listed here as required.
- Knowledge of mathematics and computer sciences to develop analytical and operational tools.
- Knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports, process descriptions/user guides. Knowledge of software application testing life cycle and methodologies.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of 4 years University education, or by having the equivalent experience.
- Experience with computers, including exposure to statistical and database software, desktop software applications, computer data conversion, various PC-based query and calculation tools, and computer system interfaces.
- A period of over 8 years, up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience. However, applicants with less experience such as new graduates may be considered for a lower rated position.
- Experience with software application testing, test case development, test data preparation, and test result documentation.
- A good understanding of the operation of the IESO-Administered Market and IESO-controlled grid. Familiarity with concepts of power system operation, including technical requirements of equipment and facilities, high voltage transmission, system interconnection and methods of attaining efficiency in power production and interchange between systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- A strong commitment to customer satisfaction.
- An attention to detail with a focus on accuracy.
- The ability to apply knowledge, judgment and past practice or precedent in resolving problems.
- Good customer service skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line through our careers website http://www.ieso.ca/careers.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.