Engineer/Technical Officer - Models & Data
Type of Position
Temporary Assignment: 12 months
This position is accountable developing, testing and maintaining power system network models and applications in support of the reliable operation of the IESO controlled grid and the IESO administered markets.
Receive assignments from Team Leader and/or Section Head in general terms on specific areas related to the maintenance of network models and data. Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining power system models used in power flow, short circuit, transient and dynamic stability analysis of the IESO controlled grid.
- Developing static and dynamic network equivalents for off-line and on-line applications.
- Using PSS/E and DSA tools, perform tests to validate market participant models and data.
- Resolving model and data related power system operation issues, developing and implementing solutions.
- Providing technical support to the On-Line Limits Derivation (OLLD) Project on network modeling and tools.
- Maintaining on-line network models in support of EMS and on-line dynamic security assessment applications.
- Developing software to facilitate system data collection to automate the power system analysis process.
- Interfacing with Market Participants to gather equipment model and data for their registered facilities.
- Providing model and data support for the development of market rules, policies and procedures.
- Participating in developing and delivering training to IESO staff on issues pertaining to models and data.
- Performing other duties as required.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to present complex technical results in a precise and clearly understandable fashion.
- Demonstrates organizational skills and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates ability to work well within a team environment.
- Demonstrates a strong personal commitment to customer needs and corporate objectives.
- Able to manage multiple assignments and adapt to fast changing priorities.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to continuous improvement principles.
- Understands the need for, and applies, risk management techniques for the sake of customer satisfaction.
Essential knowledge, experience and qualifications:
- Good knowledge of electrical power system modeling, power system analysis, and control theory.
- Experience in the use of commercial power system simulation tools, especially PTI/PSSE and Powertech DSA tools.
- Experience in the development of power system models used for off-line security assessment.
- Experience using MATLAB for power system applications
- Familiarity with on-line model and EMS applications.
- Familiarity with power system planning, operation, and concepts of reliability and security.
- Knowledge of Market Rules will be an asset.
These requirements are normally acquired in a 4-year university degree program in electrical engineering or equivalent, plus a period of up to 8 years of related work experience.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.