Type of Position
Temporary Assignment: 12 months
Conduct studies in the field of power system operation. Supply analytical and technical support for policies, operating agreements, equipment specifications, operational and outage plans and system investments. Conduct studies that contribute to the production of System Control Orders.
Specific accountabilities of an Engineer/Technical Officer include:
- Conduct studies to resolve problems through analysis and application of highly specialized technology in the field of power system operation in the following areas:
- operating security limits (all time frames)
- transfer capability
- outage assessment & support
- transmission services
- linearization and support
- ancillary service requirements
- supply reliability/quality
- joint operating studies
- inter-area activities
- NERC/NPCC support
- Receive assignment from Team Leader and/or Supervisor in general terms on specific problems related to assigned areas of work. Obtain necessary data for problem solution. Develop solutions to problems, producing necessary documentation to substantiate recommendations.
- Through technical studies, identify bounds of operations and define critical parameters in the power system for all time frames within the normal scope of coverage. Produce reports to support findings and recommendations.
- Implement and maintain limits.
- Through technical studies, identify market limits in support of 28 day, 14 day, and real-time operating limits within the normal scope of coverage.
- As required, derive limits for forced/planned outages in all time frames.
- Issue and oversee the revision, maintenance and accuracy of System Security Monitoring Programs.
- As assigned, conduct joint studies to review the utilization of resources on the interconnected system to achieve maximum economic gain and operating flexibility.
- Supply a consultative service to other departments and/or business units on matters related to system limits and security.
- Participate in task forces, as well as internal/external committees on matters related to the secure and economic operation of the Grid System. Represent the IESO on interconnection committees. Participate as assigned, as a representative of the IESO before regulatory agencies, etc. and endeavor to advance the interests of the organization in designated areas.
- Exercise limited/periodic supervision over assigned staff on special projects.
- Perform other duties as required.
Requires a good understanding of power system modelling and interconnected bulk power system planning and operation particularly as it relates to system voltage and stability performance. Must have a good understanding of the design and operation of power system equipment and be familiar with the Ontario bulk power system and the eastern interconnection. Must have a good understanding of bulk power system reliability criteria and the IESO-administered market rules and procedures.
Essential knowledge, experience and qualifications:
- Requires an engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics and other specialty related courses to carry out engineering or analytical studies related to the operation and planning of the bulk power system.
- Requires exposure to overall power system planning and operation through experience and training as an engineer in this technical field.
- Requires knowledge in the development of power system models, in analytical study techniques related to power system planning, operation and reliability assessments, and in the use of simulation software, particularly PTI/PSSE, and DSA’s VSAT and TSAT.
- Requires knowledge in engineering design concepts related to the function and characteristics of power system components.
- A familiarity with power system operation practices and policies.
- A familiarity with North American Power System operation, standards and practices market operations and specific knowledge of the design and operation of the IESO-administered markets.
- Ability to plan and organize work, and to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to present complex technical results in a precise and clearly understandable fashion.
- Fluency in both oral and written English to communicate effectively; strong technical writing capability to prepare effective reports and presentations; excellent presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills and leadership qualities.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team environment where different opinions and controversies have to be managed, negotiated, and resolved diplomatically.
- Ability to influence peers and others in the organization.
- Comprehensive appreciation of, and strong personal commitment to, customer needs and corporate objectives.
- Have a track record of developing trust, mutual respect and co-operative working relationships.
- Have a good understanding of industry trends, transmission open access and the IMO role in the market.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to continuous improvement principles.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of a four-year university education in an appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education, plus a period of over 2 years of experience. Professional engineering status in Ontario is an asset. Additional relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the educational requirements. An additional year of concentrated study in subjects related to power system analysis, control theory, or mathematics is an asset.
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO’s business objectives.
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Understanding People
- Impact and Influence
- Consulting Orientation
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.