Assistant Operations Officer/Operations Officer
Type of Position
Following the successful completion of the IESO's in-house training program, the candidate will, under supervision, carry out and assist in the Market and System actions to service the daily minute-to-minute operations of the electricity delivery system on a 24/7/365 Schedule. The candidate will work within a team to ensure a secure and reliable supply of electricity that will comply with the terms of energy/capacity contracts, established delivery point performance criteria, system security demands including industry standards, Market Rules and Regulations. Periodic off-shift assignments are part of the normal SOD working environment.
- The successful candidate will have completed a recognized operator training program pertaining to power system operations. Applicants with lesser qualifications may be considered on an individual basis.
- The candidate must be capable of working efficiently and cooperatively in a shift-working, team-oriented environment. A formal assessment following the training period will be completed to determine when a trainee enters the shift complement.
- As part of this training the successful candidate must also pass the NERC system operator certification exam and subsequently maintain the certification qualifications.
- The selected candidate must display a willingness and aptitude to successfully complete an Assistant Operations Officer training program. Movement to the Operations Officer level is based upon demonstrated performance including achievements in both on the job and formal training within a formal promotion-in-place program.
- Requires a strong knowledge of electrical theory, power system design, operation and control, associated mathematics and computer applications to undertake system control and management of the IESO-controlled grid. Requires analytical and marketing skills, knowledge of technical writing to prepare reports, and oral and written fluency for effective communication.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through post-graduate education beyond secondary school plus further extensive theoretical study of subjects pertinent to the electrical discipline and the specialty area of the work function.
- Must display a broad general knowledge of Electrical Equipment in Power System Operation.
- Good knowledge of the various departments within the IESO and their prime functions.
- Must have the ability to cope with unforeseen problems and to employ problem-solving techniques.
- Flexible and adaptable for working overtime on short notice or changing schedules on short notice.
- A highly motivated and organized individual with an abundance of initiative who promotes a high standard of work ethics.
- Must have above-average analytical skills with the capability to identify alternate solutions and initiate logical corrective actions in a timely fashion.
- Must have exceptional communication skills with the ability to present information in an orderly, complete and understandable manner. Applicants must also possess a high ability to listen and digest large volumes of information.
- Applicants must have excellent cooperative skills with the ability to manage customers facing issues in a diplomatic, professional and courteous manner.
- Demonstrate from past experience the ability to function in a training environment that includes classroom, simulation and practical hands-on activities.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through post-graduate education beyond secondary school plus further extensive theoretical study of subjects pertinent to the electrical discipline and the specialty area of the work function. The job also requires being NERC-certified.
- A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience
- Applications will be reviewed for indications of the above "Essentials" and previous work history. The applicant's previous employers may be contacted for a recommendation.
- A short list of potential hirees will be interviewed. The interview will include oral and written tests.
- The interviewees will be assigned to the Control room for up to 3 days, after which an assessment of the applicant will be made by the shift staff who will observe the applicant during that period.
- A short list of applicants may be required to be tested in areas such as "Analytical Thinking", and "shift work suitability"
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO’s business objectives.
- Good analytical and communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.