Assistant Engineer/Officer - Systems
Type of Position
Temporary - up to 12 months
A position is available in the Technology Support - Corporate Technology Solutions team to assist in the analysis, design, support, administration, management and evolution of Windows and Linux Systems and related infrastructure.
To provide technical assistance in the areas of Windows and UNIX Server Management and related technologies. To execute project tasks according to established Project Management processes, procedures, methods and standards. To assist with the execution of support and project tasks in an effective and efficient manner. To provide centralized technical systems administration, maintenance, security and support for Windows and UNIX servers.
- Assist in the design, development, build, maintenance of computer systems.
- Contribute to the evaluation, planning and development of upgrade/enhancements proposals related to computer systems. These proposals are based on assessments of new and emerging user requirements, analysis of systems and equipment performance data.
- Participate in the development of computer based information systems/tools to meet the needs of IESO customers by establishing user requirements, the development of system designs, and the integration of commercial products.
- Assist in carrying out technical and operational system support for IESO common infrastructure including operating systems (Windows and Linux) support and databases. Perform server administration duties, prepare procedures or support personnel involved in system administration activities.
- Assist in the implementation of IESO security policy by applying security patching and security mitigations. Contribute to the evaluation of risks and the effectiveness of systems in enforcing these policies. Investigate security issues, recommend and implement changes to mitigate/reduce known risk. Perform ongoing audits and reporting to assess compliance or required improvements.
- As assigned, conduct necessary actions for the operation, support and administration of common infrastructure to meet business needs. This involves a sound understanding of the design, implementation and operating philosophy of various desktop products, operating system.
- Perform analysis and respond to system problems or equipment malfunctions. Troubleshoot, isolate and resolve problems within guidelines.
- Assist in the provision of project management support to projects or teams involved in the expansion and improvement of information systems and tools. Execute project management tasks as required to support design projects/teams or information systems or tools.
- Contribute as directed to the development of strategic plans and standards, procedures and test.
- As part of the team, contribute to help associates advance their learning and facilitate their problem solving skills within their respective areas of expertise.
- Perform other duties as required.
Requires knowledge of Engineering / Information Technology / Computer Science subjects and disciplines in order to develop and support small to medium scale computer systems and networks. Specific knowledge would include security, networking & operating system services, directory, account & collaboration services, systems management, data modeling & manipulation, and systems administration.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four year university education in the appropriate discipline or by having the equivalent level of education.
Requires experience in the design, development and support of Windows systems including;
- Computer, operating system, security, network, database, WEB and application system architecture, design and integration experience with both UNIX and Microsoft Windows Server infrastructure is mandatory.
- Demonstrated ability to support small and medium sized IT projects. Performed at least one of the following Project roles; project manager, technical writer, technical lead, technical analyst.
- Administration, Support and Maintenance of distributed, heterogeneous computer systems
- Technical understanding of Windows Server 2003/2008, TRU 64 UNIX, Solaris and Linux ES4/5.
- Worked effectively as part of a large project team
- Facilitated the execution of technical tasks
- Requires technical writing experience to prepare effective, accurate, concise reports and presentations
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and follow ITIL incident management, change management, release management, inventory management, configuration management and quality assurance processes & practices
A period of four to six years working with Microsoft Windows Server and Red Hat Linux in a team environment is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills (written and verbal).
- Strong analytical and reporting skills.
- Extensive MS Office skills in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Visio, MS Access, and MS PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment including open information sharing with peers
- Deadline / deliverables oriented individual
- Demonstrates organizational skills and multi-tasking capability.
- Demonstrates strong leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs and the needs of the Program.
- A strong commitment to corporate and departmental objectives.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.