Engineer/Officer - Solutions
Type of Position
The Customer Information Management (CIM) section (part of Business Solutions Department) is responsible for the development and support of software applications used by both market participants and IESO staff. Applications maintained by the CIM team include the Business Process Management Suite, IESO Portal, all of the reporting applications, the data warehouse, operational data store, customer information management system, business intelligence toolset, and the IESO web site and intranet. The team members perform a number of key roles such as application development, data analysis, project management, and solution and business analysis.
- Develop integrated computer based information solutions for business and operations processes for the reliable operation of the power system, operation of the IESO Administered Market, and for other corporate needs of the IESO. Conduct analysis of customer requirements, the production of functional specifications, and the development of a satisfactory information solution (i.e., impacting areas of software, hardware, communications and business processes).
- Oversee the evolution of existing information systems and tools related to the market operation, supply, security and settlement services related to the management of the power system and other corporate requirements by conducting/developing/monitoring enhancements to provide additional functionality, improved reliability/maintainability and problem correction.
- Identify opportunities for information solutions that will provide effective and economic benefits for customers. Address the total solution in terms of communications, data sources, software tools, integration with existing functions, user interfaces, algorithms, etc.
- Monitor and oversee assigned projects for the development and expansion of information systems and tools. Provide periodic or limited work assignment, organizing, scheduling and checking work of others delegated to assist in specific work projects.
- Provide project management support to projects or teams involved in the expansion and improvement of information systems and tools.
- Maintain a close customer relationship and be alert to identify potential improvements to existing systems and to propose new information system requirements.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans and standards.
- Act as a teacher or mentor to associates to advance their learning and facilitate their problem solving skills within their respective area of expertise.
- Implement accepted life cycle management methodology for information technology solutions that support the IESO business.
- Direct or apply actions to restore IESO tools after failure.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Requires a strong academic knowledge of computer science and associated subjects, including a strong practical knowledge and demonstrated application of all aspects of the software development life cycle.
- Requires keen analytical skills for software solutions and their association with business processes and information technology.
- Requires familiarity with IESO market administration processes and procedures.
- Requires communication skills, including report or business presentation skills.
- Requires a strong Customer Focus perspective as related to software implementation and support.
Experience in one or more of the following would be an asset:
- One or more the following solution development disciplines:
- Business Analyst;
- Solution Analyst;
- Technical Analyst;
- System Analyst;
- Software Development; and
- Project Management.
- Application support and/or problem resolution in time-critical situations.
- Experience with configuration, deployment, and testing of enterprise software applications.
- Experience in a technical role working directly with business users.
- Experience in writing application functional specifications.
- Requires working with vendors and business users to integrate solutions into IESO environment.
- Knowledge of XML, XSD.
- Demonstrates expertise in Data Modeling and SQL.
- Exposure to business process modeling would be an asset.
- Information Technology Service Framework (e.g. ITIL Change Control).
A period of five years, up to and including ten years, is considered necessary to gain the above experience.
- Good analytical and communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.