Senior Economist - Analysis & Research
Type of Position
- Undertake studies on the performance of the IESO Administered Market particularly related to the complexity within the operation of the deregulated electrical system.
- Conduct econometric analysis understand the long-term trends of key market indicators
- Conduct complex analysis and study of major issues affecting the Ontario electricity industry. Undertake investigation and analysis on the impact of market development activities, government policy, contracts and regulation, and other subjects on the IESO-administered market and key industry variables.
- Develop and maintain econometric or other statistical model used to measure, forecast and assess key market and industry variables.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in economic/econometric theory, and in advancements in competitive energy markets. Peruse academic, technical and financial reports, studies, books, journals etc, dealing with various aspects of energy markets
- Develop business processes, systems/tools, and procedures to effectively evaluate the impact of changes or potential future changes. Develop and implement effective and efficient improvements as necessary. Review the current tools, and provide guidance and support regarding the associated development of new tools.
- Organize, conduct and participate in public stakeholdering of market evolution recommendations and reports prior to developing final recommendations. Participate in the development and stakeholdering of Market Rule amendments or other Market Development activities as required.
- Develop recommendations with respect to the design and structure of the market as well as potential new products and services, as required.
- Respond to requests for expert input from other IESO staff, in support of IESO market-facing functions, cost-benefit analysis, market rule amendments, etc.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Requires academic training in economics at a level to understand and apply the technical/economical and legislative parameters governing the energy industry and market place. Requires knowledge and understanding of competitive market behaviour, microeconomic theory and a proficiency in performing economic analysis
- Requires analytical and organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, in order to undertake studies, programs and projects of major issue to develop strategies, communicate and effectively interface with all contacts involved in accomplishing the work objectives.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the successful completion of a 4 year university degree and at least one year of post-graduate study (ie: master's degree), or equivalent.
- Requires a strong background in the utility business to become familiar with the inherent factors and problems influencing the energy industry.
- Requires a background that allows for broad and strategic thinking, with advanced analytical and reasoning skills. Requires demonstrated experience in the review of vast amounts of information, synthesizing and prioritizing to determine relevant impacts
- Requires experience in building relationships, strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. Requires demonstrated leadership ability to influence and motivate others to work as a team. Requires strong presentation skills to represent the company on committees, task forces and in various forums.
- A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Good analytical and communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Deadline oriented individual.
- Proven excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities.
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs.
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives.
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.