Assistant Engineer/Technical Officer – Market Forecasting and Integration
Type of Position
Working as part of a dynamic team, the successful candidate will assist as directed with the functions of Market Forecasting & Integration, and with sufficient training, be required to rotate between outage integration and forecasting functions.
The outage integration function includes:
- receiving, validating and assessing requests for equipment outages from market participants;
- ensuring that the IESO controlled-grid can be operated reliably in the planned outage configuration; and
- interfacing with other IESO departments to obtain operating security limits and new facility information.
The forecasting function includes:
- forecasting primary demand;
- populating tools for next day operation;
- performing security and adequacy assessments and issuing reports associated with these assessments; and
- assessing the pre-dispatch schedule outputs associated with the Day Ahead Commitment Process (DACP) and handing off the results to Control Room staff.
These functions are an integral part of ensuring the reliability of the IESO-controlled grid in the near term and in preparation for the real-time operation of the IESO-controlled grid and IESO administered markets.
Assist as directed with the following functions:
- Forecast demand and determine weather parameter-load relationship.
- Publish System Status Reports and System Advisory Notices as required by the Market Rules.
- Derive and publish the IESO’s Daily and Weekly Security and Adequacy Assessment reports.
- Receive and validate energy and operating reserve bids and offers.
- Analyze and publish the schedules and reports associated with the IESO’s DACP Pre-dispatch scheduling process.
- Receive, validate and assess requests for equipment outages from Market Participants in order to provide:
- Signals to the IESO-administered markets with respect to outages,
- Recommend approvals where required based on established assessment criteria.
- Receive assignments from the Supervisor in general terms on specific problems related to assigned areas of work and obtain the necessary data for problem solution.
- Manually populate operating tools for next-day operations and beyond.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of Market Participant data.
- Represent the IESO at meetings with market participants.
- Perform other duties as required.
Requires knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics and computer science to effectively conduct engineering, economic or analytical studies related to the management and control of high voltage power systems. Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare accurate and comprehensive reports.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired in a four-year university education or through relevant experience in power system operation.
Requires experience such as might be gained in the energy industry to become familiar with the general system operation and organizational structure. Requires experience to become familiar with the nature of studies and investigations carried out by the different sections and groups of the organization. Requires further on the job experience to become familiar with methods and practices associated with the work functions.
A period four to six years of hands on experience in the area of power system operation is considered necessary to gain this experience.
Experience will include:
- Familiarity with concepts of power system operation, including technical requirements of equipment and facilities, high voltage transmission, system interconnection and methods of attaining efficiency in power production and interchange between systems.
- Familiarity with electrical engineering design concepts as they relate to the functions and characteristics of power system components.
- Ability to conduct analytical studies and the application of computer programs to solve power system problems.
- Familiarity with power system operation practices, policies, procedures and the market rules.
- Problem solving skills including being able to go beyond the scope of past practice.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- A strong commitment to customer satisfaction.
- An attention to detail with a focus on accuracy.
- Able to work effectively in an environment of rapidly changing priorities and stringent deadlines.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
The core competencies and additional IESO competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO’s business objectives.
- Customer Focus
- Drive for results
- Understanding People
- Analytical Thinking
- Information Seeking
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.