Forecasting and Planning Update – July 22, 2020
The IESO provided an update on the demand and supply impacts of COVID-19 through 2026, with a focus on an updated supply outlook, as well as a review the of market operations during the week of July 6.
This webinar was presented during the IESO’s July stakeholder engagement sessions, see full agenda for more information.
Forecasting and Planning Update – July 6, 2020
The IESO provided an update on system operations and pandemic response, ongoing demand impacts of COVID-19, and the IESO's revised demand outlook.
The Brattle Group: Covid-19 Impacts on North American Markets – July 6, 2020
Frank Graves of The Brattle Group provided an overview of the impacts of COVID-19 on North American electricity markets. Frank is a Principal and co-founder of The Brattle Group with expertise in most aspects of long term utility planning, ratemaking and finance. Recently he has focused on financial and operating implications for utilities, their customers, and energy markets of heightened use of distributed energy resources and strong decarbonization goals, as well as resiliency to extreme “black swan” events.
This webinar was part of the IESO’s June stakeholder engagement sessions, see full agenda for more information.
Electricity system impact of COVID-19 - May 20, 2020
The IESO provided an update on the current and future impacts of COVID-19 on the electricity system at an update webinar on May 20.
The presentation included review of revisions made to the demand forecast for the April 2020 to September 2021 period to account for the impacts of COVID-19.
This webinar was presented during the IESO’s May stakeholder engagement sessions, see full agenda for more information.
Electricity system impact of COVID-19 - April 23, 2020
The IESO is actively assessing the impact of COVID-19 by closely monitoring demand, revising forecasts, adapting business practices and responding to changing system needs. As part of its commitment to keep market participants and stakeholders informed, the IESO hosted a webinar on April 23 to discuss the early impacts of COVID-19 on electricity system operations.
February 19, 2020
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
Stakeholders were invited to:
- Learn more about the IESO’s planning processes, the evolution of its flagship planning document, and the vital role of stakeholders in shaping the final product
- Review key highlights of the long-term demand forecast, supply outlook, resource adequacy, transmission planning, and energy and capacity needs – and what these mean for the sector
- Find out about the stakeholder engagement plans for the next 20-year Outlook – which will be released in the fall of 2020 – and how you can contribute to the process
- Get updates on important planning initiatives, from the review of reliability standards related to resource adequacy, to the development of a competitive transmission procurement process and a discussion on the importance of system resilience
- Hear about our progress on the review of the both the bulk system planning and regional planning stakeholder engagements, and the development of related processes
- Demand forecast key insights
- Resource adequacy and transmission key insights
- Marginal costs and emissions forecasts
- Resilience in power system planning
- Review of resource adequacy-related reliability standards
- Update on the bulk system planning process
- Update on the regional planning process
- Update on the development of a competitive transmission procurement
- Market Surveillance Panel
- Ontario Power Generation
- Organization of Canadian Nuclear Industries
- Power Workers Union
- Ron Tolmie
- Todd Anderson
IESO Response to 2020 Technical Planning Conference Stakeholder Feedback
Stakeholders were invited to participate in the IESO’s first annual Technical Planning Conference. The purpose of the event was to provide stakeholders with an update on the electricity planning outlook.
Presentation and Materials
December 6, 2018
November 30, 2018
IESO Response to Stakeholder Feedback
September 13, 2018
2018 Technical Planning Conference